View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyR View Post
You are technically correct that the loser can be asked to pay in the US, but you are being disingenuous if anyone reading your posts feels that this happens with any frequency in the American system. It is uncommon, very uncommon.

My guess is the vast majority of observers of the US legal system (except for the Trial Lawyers groups, of course) would conclude that the system is not suffering from too few lawsuits (for any reason).

There is something wrong when the cost of a ladder or a car seat is being taken up more by the legal department than the R&D, marketing, raw materials and human resources departments.
Many such things are actually made in China. Also many of the numbers are exaggerated. Try to see how much is the fraction of legal expenses in the manufacture of a racket. I have read many articles on racket manufacturing, and have never heard it mentioned.

In fact, what you see is that American safety standards are being adopted globally. In many countries, it was cool to blame the victim for lack of common sense. Now people don't stand for that any more. I would say that development of American safety standards may have been expensive for America, but other countries are reaping the benefits for free now.
sureshs is online now   Reply With Quote