View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #116
toly
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
^ Welcome to the TW forum, DC.

I started playing badminton in the late 70s with aluminum and early graphite racquets, altho' I did play a bit with wood. Everyone was talking about wrist snap and the wristy-ness of the sport. However I later discovered that the role of the wrist was not really as advertised -- it was grossly exaggerated.

Most coaches & players back in the day emphasized the wrist so much because they didn't know any better -- not because the racquets required it. As far back as the 1960s, Dr. James Poole (one of the last of the US world-class champions), wrote a PhD paper that indicated that pronation was a major contributor of power on badminton strokes. It was his contention the the role of the wrist was emphasized more than it should be. This information seemed to be ignored (or unavailable) to most of the badminton community for several decades.

I played a lot of badminton tournaments in the 80s. When I came back to tennis in the late 80s/early 90s, I found that my serves, overheads and volleys were all intact but my groundstrokes had atrophied. I have taught tennis to quite a few badminton players. Most of them master overheads/serves (and volleys) first and struggle a bit more with groundstrokes. This is just the opposite for most other novice tennis players. Overall, the badminton players have picked up tennis quicker than most other novices tho'.
There is example of Chanelle Scheepers serve, where wrist flexion is the major contributor to the RHS and arm pronation supplies virtually nothing.