View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #60
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Default Cyclone Tour 16G review

Include the following in your review:

Gauge of playtest string: 16G

Tension used for playtest: 53# strung on an electronic CP machine

Regular string set up: Discho Iontec salmon 1.25 @ 50# or Solinco Tour Bite 16L/Iontec Hexa 1.20 @ 48/50#

Racquet brand and model used for test: Vantage BC20

Power of test string:Very high, especially for a poly. It was very elastic and springy.

Feel: Cyclone Tour offered good feel. I could feel the stringbed pocketing the ball.

Spin: Average. Hereís where I was really surprised. Given the twisted gear shape of the string, I was expecting some good action on the ball. I didnít get any more spin with this string than any other typical round poly. I get A LOT more spin w/ Tour Bite.

Comfort: Excellent! VERY comfy. I was a bit concerned that stringing up a full bed of poly 3# higher than usual would result in a very stiff and uncomfortable string bed, but was very surprised how plush this was. In fact, I probably should have increased the tension another 2-3#s.

Durability: No issues w/ string breakage.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time) : After the first few strokes, I realized that I should have strung this higher. My groundstrokes were all landing very deep. After 10 mins, the string bed had settled in and the tension felt a bit lower and the string bed got launchy. Everything was going long. I tried closing the angle of the racquet face but that didnít help much. Nearly everything was either long or into the net. Basically after the first 10 mins, the string bed wasnít playable for me. I did try to hit with these strings 2 more times and it wasnít any better. After what was maybe a total of 60 mins of hitting, I looked at the strings around the sweetspot and noticed that the gears had worn down. Very surprising given the little amount of play time I had on this string bed.
Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): I had issues with directional and depth control. Felt ok for the 1st 10 mins and after that, I couldnít hit with any sort of consistency. I have 2 BC20s. I strung one w/ Cyclone Tour and the other w/ Iontec. I would go back and forth between the two sticks. Hit with the Cyclone Tour for 10 mins and couldnít control the ball. Then Iíd switch to the one w/ Iontec and the control was back. The ball would go exactly where I was hitting it. Iíd switch back to Cyclone Tour and the control was gone. Because it was lacking in control I never felt confident swinging out due to fear of hitting long.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): in an attempt to improve control, I would try this string at 56# or I would try it in a stiffer racquet. Given the low stiffness of the BC20 (50RA) and the elastic nature of Cyclone Tour, I wasnít shocked that control was poor for me. Had I known Cyclone Tour was this soft and stretchy, I would have playtested this in a stiffer frame.

Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to Discho Iontec salmon 1.25 and Kirschbaum Super Smash Orange 17, Cyclone Tour was softer and more comfortable but at the expense of control. With the lack of control, I was unable to swing confidently and was not able to generate as much spin, pace, and heaviness to my shots.

If you have played with the original Cyclone, please compare.: I have not tried the original Cyclone string before.

Thanks TW for this playtest opportunity!
mad dog1 is online now   Reply With Quote