View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #168
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_ocd View Post
Refresh my memory on the simple and easy to follow rule re: FBI. Sounds as if the guy got into your head.
I don't understand your question, but if you're asking what does FBI mean, out West it means FIRST BALL (first serve) IN. This is used in lieu of warming up ones serve in the correct fashion, which is taking about six serves from the deuce and then about six from the ad side. In rec play, to speed things along, usually they play first serve in--but taking practice serves when everyone else has taken FBI, AND then calling for first in is bush and inconsiderate to make everyone else stand around.

He did not get in my head from your meaning of the term, that his bush behavior was negative to my performance. He got into my head in the annoying sense. I couldn't understand how a man who holds himself in high esteem, holds a job as a professional and considers himself a sophisticated man of the world, doesn't care to learn the simple rules, conventions and etiquette of a game he's been playing for many years.

There's an expression in tennis, "Don't wake him up", meaning don't **** your opponent off because it will make him play better--that is if they have a game to begin with.