View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #98
darrinbaker00
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
Couple years ago, I got together with a poster here to hit. It was a windy day, and I'd just windsurfed for over 2 hours.
We met at the VirginiaSt. courts, where leaves were blowing around, and swirling winds maybe 0-20mph.
Warming up, we both hit hard shots, but the ball was moving around, and our rallies were short and disjointed. We decided to play anyways.
He was a top ranked 3.5 at the time, before the bumpups. You know I claim 4.0. He was in the middle of his competitive season, right around July, while I hadn't played any tennis for 2 months....it's my windsurfing season.
I lost the first 3 games, then decided to hit only conti grip slices. I won 3 and 3. I also stayed back at the baseline as often as possible, because the net was located at the opening of the hitting wall, and winds there were killer.
Afterwards, he said I needed to push to beat him. I apologized .. "sorry, that was all I had in me" and he stomped off.
Yes, I pushed then. He had every right to call me a pusher, because that's how I managed to avoid a loss. I tried to email him a couple times right after, but never got another answer.
In his eyes, I was a pusher. I agree, I pushed to win those two sets, never hitting a topspin forehand or topspin backhand, just used slices.
I don't blame that guy for never playing you again, Lee. Don't you know that adapting your game according to the weather requires thinking while you play, which is pure, unadulterated BLASPHEMY?
darrinbaker00 is offline   Reply With Quote