View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #128
abmk
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
But he couldn't WIN the US Open. What part of that do you not understand? His level was either not consistent enough to last the whole tournament OR he just didn't have the ability. Now you and I both agree he had the ability so it must be because he couldn't hold his high HC level of play long enough to win it. He failed, Nadal didn't; deal with it, that is the undisputable fact.

He couldn't beat McEnroe at the USO, he had 2 attempts and although he did push him in one of the finals, he got beat convincingly in the other.

So, as promised, I will kindly point you to Borg's failed (HC) US Open attempts:

1978 LOST to Connors 6-4 6-2 6-2
1979 LOST to Tanner 6-2 4-6 6-2 7-6
1980 LOST to McEnroe 7-6 6-1 6-7 5-7 6-4
1981 LOST to McEnroe 4-6 6-2 6-4 6-3
yes, because 78 connors, 79 tanner, 80 mac, 81 mac were playing at a higher level than djoker in USO 2010 .... put rafa in the same place as borg and he probably ends up with zero majors at the USO as well .....

I will point towards rafa's first 5 failed attempts at the USO as well :

2005 - loses to blake in 3 sets
2006 - loses to youzhny in 4 sets
2007 - loses to ferrer in 4 sets
2008 - loses to murray in 4 sets
2009 - loses to del potro in 3 sets

now fact is rafa did actually win the USO in 2010 and that is a major plus point for him ........ But level wise, he isn't that much above borg there ...their winning %s on HC are also very similar ...

however borg's major plus point is that he simultaneously dominated clay/grass when they were polarized ( quite a bit more than today )

add to that, he's much better indoors and won the major indoor tournaments at his time ....( which btw were more important back then than the AO )
abmk is offline   Reply With Quote