View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #70
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizo View Post
That challenge of champions event in Illinois took place just before the Masters at MSG, so maybe Lendl's 1983 title there belongs to his 1982 season, and Connor's 1984 title there belongs to his 1983 season, depending on how you would allocate Masters results. If so that would actually leave Lendl with 0 non-sanctioned titles in 1983, and likewise Connors with 0 in 1984. Of course different people have difference preferences there.

I agree that Connors's results at the invitationals in 1983 was just outstanding and is another factor to give him the clear lead over Lendl that year (though his sanctioned results alone are more than enough anyway). He had plenty of wins at those events against pretty much all of his rivals, Mac, Lendl, Wilander and yes even Borg. As part of his title haul, he also won very lucrative, big money events at Beaver Creek, Miami and Sun City in South Africa, to go with those Suntory Cup and Molson Challenge titles that you mentioned.
I agree.Exos of that level would account for as much in the 1970īs and 1980īs.Connors was the guy that tokk non sanctioned events to another level when he launched his winner takes all challenges at vegas, against Laver,Newcombe,Nastase and Orantes.