View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessmoose View Post
Today I took my APD gt and my new head youteck speed pro (18 mm beam) out for a hit. I matched them completely. Same weighting, strings, and grip. I was surprised to find that while they have the same stiffness (70 RA), the speed pro hit quite a bit softer in comparison. It had almost a mushy feel to hit and the ball came off with a bit less spin and pace. Could this have something to do with the difference in beam width or shape despite the frames having the same stiffness?
Someone else asked, but if you want to get to the bottom of this you have to tell whether you matched the swingweights of the two frames. If not, then there is your answer.

You should probably read this article: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...csandspeed.php

As you'll read, stiffness has only a little to do with power. In fact, an academic paper published last year showed that you'd have to triple the stiffness (from 60 to 180!) of a racquet to get a measly 4-5 extra miles per hour on your shots. Stiff hoops do tend to have a bit more pop at the tip and sides of the stringbed than flexible, narrow-beam ones, but the differences are quite modest.
corners is online now   Reply With Quote