Thread: Nadal News
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #15240
Crisstti
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser83 View Post
Reading this (came here to see if there was any news about Nadal's training etc) a couple of things.

First, I don't get it. It seems like his complaining is nitpicking. I mean isn't the real embarrassment someone looking at your penis? If you can take that I don't get why you would object to having to turn around. Even if it is not needed, that alone isn't a reason to object. Does it cause any additional humiliation? Maybe it does for Rafa, but I really don't get why. He's ok with a guy looking at his junk but he doesn't want to turn around. Eh?
Why is it hard to understand that someone would complain more about what he sees as having no justification?. He doesn't see the reason, so he's objecting to it. I do think it causes additional humiliation, I can sure see why. It means you're basically naked for that matter.
It being unnecessary or the purpose not being clear would already make it more humiliating, it would certainly make you more upset about it.

It doesn't mean he's OK with someone looking at his penis, but maybe he sees more reason for that part of the test.

Quote:
Second, there probably is a reason for turning around. You could (believe it or not) have a false bladder with a tube running along your penis with some putty or whatever covering it up, disguised as your normal skin. It would probably be harder to hide the bladder if you are not wearing a shirt and your pants are down and you do a full 360 turn. I know it's embarrassing standing naked in front of a stranger, but you know that's the price to pay if you're a multi millionare sportsman (same as getting woken up at 6.30. You know i'll take that slight inconvenience for several million) and there are times when you just have to accept it. I mean you go to the doctor cos you have a lump on your testicle - he's going to not only look at your privates but PHYSICALLY examine you. And given the possibility of doping and using prosthetics, players are lucky they don't get physically examined. Yes it wouldn't be nice, but you're earning millions and could be cheating your way to that money. You have to sometimes have that downside to life, ordinary people have to go through things more uncomfortable so just accept it..
Oh, I don't think you've read all the posts about this . We went over this quite a lot and yes, it does seem that there can be reasons for it. The discussion has moved a little further than that. There being a reason for it does not automatically mean it’s justified and the athlete cannot say so if he thinks it’s too much.

I don't think it's actually comparable to a medical examination . A medical examination may be more or less invasive than what we're talking about, but it's a doctor who performs it, and it's your choice, you are not obliged to do it and that makes all the difference here.

It could indeed be argued that an actual physical examination would help prevent doping and hence it should be done. You could also say players should wear some GPS like element on them at all times thus pretty much eliminating the possibilities of missing tests, etc. But like I explained before, this has its limits and it should have them.

Where that limit is is debatable and Nadal like anyone else has a right to say what he thinks these limits should be. You have two legitimate interests: keeping sports clean and the right to privacy. One does NOT simply take complete precedence over the other, it doesn't work like that nor should it. Both interests have to be weighted in and a fair balance found. Anyone – and particularly those who have to submit to these procedures – have a right to say where they think that balance should be.

I have a problem with this argument.
First, not only millionaire sportsmen are subject to these procedures.
Second, you don't lose your rights because you're a millionaire (which in this case it means you're really good at what you do) and have as much or a right to privacy and dignity as anyone else.

Quote:
Having said that I do think they should give a proper explanation to Nadal about why they need him to do a 360 turn. If you have a rule you should be able to explain it officially.
Yes, they definitely should.

Last edited by Crisstti : 12-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.