View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
jmnk
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnk View Post
what do you mean why? To know who to avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andfor View Post
And that can be accomplished by knowing the algorithm how?

I'm just curious on this train of thought. Some may think I'm combative here, but I'm really not. I'm puzzled why a player or coach would obsess over going to that kind length to judge a good win versus a bad one, pre or post match. Isn't that counter productive to maxing the athlete's performace potential short and long-term?
I'm just joking. I'm with you - I have no idea why one would try to figure out up front what a 'good win' is.

But yes, knowing the algorithm would allow you to do just that. While you can't change the draw, you could potentially do 'strategic pre-match retirement' if you do not feel up to par and you know that a potential loss would be a 'bad loss'. Similarly, if you know that upcoming match is at worst (when you lose) a not-very-ranking-changing one, and a very good win (if you prevail) - you can play with no pressure.

Those rankings are most likely based on a variation of ELO ranking where the strength of the opponent and the result are taken into consideration to come up with some kind of match value. Read up on Canada Rogers ranking - they are likely similar.

The exact algorithm is not published for the same reasons why USTA algorithm is not published. To avoid having people try to game the system.

Disclaimer: these are all just my thoughts, I have zero inside knowledge.