View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
COPEY
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wilson View Post
I intend on starting a small stringing business - more of a hobby than anything as I enjoy stringing and won't mind paying off the cost of my stringer.

My question is this: how many different choices of string do you think I need to offer, and what specific choices would you recommend. Remember that I will be doing a few dozen rackets not hundreds so purchasing reels may or may not make sense. Also, I live in an area that doesn't have many top level players looking for top of the line poly or hybrid setups.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Actually, depending on what strings you choose to stock reels may indeed make very good sense. When you say "a few dozen" is that per week or per month?

Keeping it simple, canvas your prospective customers and see what they use, then pick up a few sets of that. Once you've established yourself, then if it's cheaper to buy whatever it is your customers are using in reels, do so. It's up to you if you want to pass that savings (if applicable) on to them; I don't, but then I'm only charging $10 labor.

There are several approaches you can take, but in my opinion if you purchase what they're using to start with, gain their trust, you can then have them try strings that are known to be good performers, but aren't sold in pro shops, such as Gosen OG-Sheep Micro, Isospeed Baseline Spin, Iontec, any of the Tourna strings, etc.