View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
Math can be managed. It is the science courses with labs (regular and AP) which are very difficult/impossible to duplicate at home. For the regular courses, I guess the labs can be done with one of the home-schooling science kits. But for an AP science course, teacher's guidance in the lab becomes very important and the lab itself is subject to College Board guidelines for it to be accredited.

My son is doing AP Biology this year and the content and labs are way, way above what I studied a generation ago. I have no clue what is going on.
Agree! The labs are not easy to do at home. My son takes AP Chemistry this year. His teacher is doing such a great job that she requires kids to enter the data and results on a lab notebook and have the content witnessed on the same day that an experiment is run. My son is doing a better job than what I did in my graduate school!

I wanted to add one more point - kids may feel more pressured (mostly from parents) to perform well if home schooled or attending a full time academy. A few kids in our section actually did worse in tournament after attending academy or home schooled. Two went back to a regular school after home schooled for one year and saw ranking go up. Well they also changed their coach.