View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #42
r2473
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFreddy View Post
I checked these out back in 2005 when they first came out. Back in 2008 I took a workshop now TRX offers 6 different workshops. It uses your body’s angle against gravity. Problem is not all the movements directly oppose gravity. It's just like anything else in the fitness trainer's toolbox. Another new thing to make out of shape and in shape people feel silly. It's more like learning a new skill.TRX Suspension Trainer Cons

Price
The biggest downside of this product may be the price. If spending $189.95 on a set of sturdy straps and anchors (along with the extras) doesn't make you bat an eye, then go for it. If nothing else, your workouts will be new, and you will engage muscles in a new way.
Anchor Points
Anchoring the system isn't a simple thing for those working out a home. Yes, you can use a door, but it seems to limit some of the exercises. Anchoring the system overhead allows more freedom of movement, but not everyone has (or wants) a great overhead anchor bolt in their living room.
Will the Novelty Wear off?

I wonder about the sustainability of the routines. It would be nice to hear how people feel about the TRX System after they've been using it for several months to see if it's just another fun, new fad that grows old over time. I've only done a short demo routine on the TRX, and I don't own one. It's hard for me to say if it would become stale or would become a core part of my training routine over time.Proponents of suspension training argue that it develops core body strength, as well as joint and muscular stability,[7] reducing the chance of injury.

Some sports scientists have expressed concern that weaker individuals may not have the core stability or joint integrity to use the system safely and effectively. I see in the gym alot of chicks using this and bands in classes. For me nothing beats freeweights. Alot of these new toys and training just keeps the the trainer and clients from getting bored. The trainer takes a workshop learns a new training shill and teaches it to the client who now shows off his or her new skill set.
I like using gymnastic rings, which are similar in function to what TRX is trying to do. I love them.

But your point about finding a place to anchor them is quite valid, especially for the home user. I have a great place. Some guy built a power station out of solid iron (I think the thing probably weighs 300 lbs. or more; I can hang off the back doing front or back levers and it stays perfectly stable; a beast of a stand) and his family sold it to me for $50 through the classified when he died. But otherwise, I have no idea where I would secure those things.

The rings I got are $60. Well worth it IMO.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/foru...e-rings-black/

Another great piece of equipment are parallettes:

http://www.vitavibe.com/Vita_Vibe_Parallettes.html

Wish I could find stall bars for cheap. Anyone know where I could find some?

Last edited by r2473 : 12-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
r2473 is offline   Reply With Quote