Thread: calling NZ fans
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
Not sure what ever became of him after the early 90s but Fairlie was one of the most talented coaches you could ever encounter. He was a tennis genius and ahead of his time. He was approached on a couple of occasions by top players from Europe for short "fix-up" coaching stints. I think he coached Goran Ivanisevic's sister or cousin at some point when she was a promising up-n-comer.

On coaching merit he should have been the main coach for the development programme in NZ but he was not a popularist sort of person - he called things how he saw them and this ruffled too many feathers, especially those of the parents of a few top juniors whose parents had close ties to the the administrators. They just wanted coaches who would tell them how amazing their kids were when they won local tournaments - small-town syndrome.
hahaha, right.

Fairlie, like Simposn were honest pros witj limited playing talent.But he was a great doubles player and great doubles men usually have a court perspective that helps them become efficient coaches.

Letīs never forget that Onny Parun, 10 yrs before Lewis, made it to another slam final, the Aussie Open, which he lost to Newcombe over a 4 set battle.Parun was a great fighter and there was no single pro that never respected him.In his book, Borg cites his win over him, in 1972 or 1973 as his first great win on tour, since Parun was a top 20 player by that time, having reached twice the Wimbledon quarterfinals.

BTW, I rememeber watching Chris lewis years before his great Wimbledon run.He was a far better clay court or hard court player than he suposedly was a grass courter.In fact he had no good results on grass before 1982 or 1983.I was surprised he did so well in 1983, not because he was not a really good player, but because I always thought of him as a slow court player.