View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #74
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post
Connors won a whopping 9 non-sanctioned events in 1983 (including the Toronto Molson Challenge and Suntory Cup). I think that's one more reason to keep him ahead of Lendl for the year, despite Lendl's impressive achievements on the tour in general. Lendl didn't win any of the 4 Slams, or the Masters or Dallas, and I agree with you that that's a key.

It's funny, how Lendl and Connors really swapped places in 1983-84. If you remember upthread I posted Lendl's record in '84: only 3 official titles, but 5 wins in non-sanctioned events. Basically Connors did the same in '83: 4 official titles, 9 non-sanctioned wins.

Lendl in '83, and Connors in '84, each won only 1 non-sanctioned event. But it was the same event, and a big one: the Challenge of Champions at Rosemont.
Remember the Sun City exo? Connors defeated both Wilander and Lendl.It was an almost forbidden tournament given the apartheid thing and Mc Enroe refused to accept the invitation to play on it.

I think Curren or Kriek were the 4 th man of the event, which was probably the richest ever invitational event.