View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #211
World Beater
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
I'm not clutching at anything. You're misinterpreting what I"m writing. With the equipment the game is of course better but I'm just talking about the player. Are the players themselves necessarily better? Serena with her equipment today may beat many males players of the past but is she a better player? I don't think she's better than Jack Kramer for example or Bobby Riggs in their primes. Would she beat Riggs with her equipment today versus Riggs' wood in the past. Perhaps. But give Serena a wood racquet versus Riggs with wood and I don't think Serena gets a game. I frankly prefer hitting with today's racquets than wood racquets. Who wouldn't except for a few? ]But the point is that it's a different game. I don't like playing with wood racquets. And what's wrong with playing with a frying pan?? lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfbYdaYEoc

Major League Baseball has wood bats. Colleges usually allow aluminum bats. Often the aluminum bats users can't make it in the majors leagues because they can't play with wood bats. It's a different game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/sp...pagewanted=all

In most sports the game hasn't changed that much but tennis has changed a lot so I find a comparison tougher. If you don't than perhaps you're better in analysis than me and that's very possible.

I am misinterpreting what you are writing??

This is what you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Not necessarily because tennis has had some many changes in the sports that it is hard to see skills differences for example. I've noticed you don't acknowledge that. And we are talking often about the top levels and greats are often greats in any era.
Hard to see skill differences? Really???

Again. returning a 120-130 mph serve...timing a ball coming at you at 3000 rpm. Split second decisions.

Movement and court coverage when the balls are flying over the net at 90mph.

This is not all due to equipment and fancy racquets/ strings.

I think you are misinterpreting what you see on the tv screen.

Its easy to see skill differences. Players of today have demonstrated it. Players of past eras have not - we speculate that they MIGHT have if they grew up today...but we dont know.

Serena williams hits the ball hard, and power is part of the game. She may not have the finesse skills of those players you mention, but power is a huge part of the game. She also happens to have great technique on her groundstrokes that are able to generate her that power. There are bigger girls on tour who cannot generate tha same pace because their technique isn't as good or as robust in terms of racquet head speed.

To me serena williams stroke production is far different to those players you mention. Her racquet swings are far more violent and cut through the air faster. The racquets surely help the control, but the power can be generated even from wooden / heavier racquets.

Last edited by World Beater : 12-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.
World Beater is offline   Reply With Quote