Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #58
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme5150 View Post
This is a pretty good read.

"How my child went from home school to Harvard and yours can, too"

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...yours-can-too/

By the way, our children weren't homeschooled but I don't believe there is only one way to get from point A to B.
The article says his other 3 children are being schooled by retired teachers who were probably part of the regular schooling system. Unfortunately, each parent searching for professional teachers who honed their skills in a regular school is a highly inefficient system, like every one hiring police officers for their own home. Also, it seems to me that the daughter who went to Harvard is unlikely to be a stay-at-home mom like her mom, so I don't understand the point here. Was the "life lesson" that the daughter should stay at home and home school her children? Shouldn't moms be empowering daughters to think beyond traditional roles? My mother was a stay at home mom and did school homework with me every day almost till the 7th grade, but that was because she came from a time when education for women was not valued - her sisters never finished school. She tried to become a teacher, but circumstances were not favorable. But she always encouraged the next generation of girls to go out and work.

There is also the practical matter of science labs, which are not to be underestimated. Again, I don't know what she is studying at Harvard, but the global competition in science and engineering is very deep. The foundations for it begin as early as the 8th grade. It is not just a matter of labs, but also the grasping of difficult concepts. My son's AP Bio book is a 1200 page college textbook, and I went nuts trying to read it. But he says his teacher guides them through the book and it becomes manageable when he then studies on his own. I could never teach him this subject.

The author also forgets how many special needs students and those from very difficult demographics have to be catered to by the public education system. Just pretending that they don't exist does not solve the problem.