View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #31
schmke
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToPlaySets View Post
Yea, but you're also advocating being in "no man's land" which is the first thing you learn not to do in tennis. I recall being told by my coach to let them lob you. It's a low % shot and if they get it, good for them, but you'll win way more points going to the net than losing via a lob. So, if that's true, my problem is going in on the wrong shots, not being out of position to play the lob. I am saying if you do it right, they can not hit a deep lob. Like an easy shot to their forehand, don't go it. Massively topspin and deep to their back hand? Let them lob away.
There are a few factors here.

First, if you are playing at 3.0 to 3.5 and coming in on balls that your opponent can hit good lobs off of, you probably aren't hitting good approach shots or coming in on the right balls.

Second, you do need to play your opponent, not just the textbook. Yes, you don't want to get stuck in no-mans land but if your opponents tendency is to lob whenever you come in, you need to adjust your game to not crash the net quite as hard. The split-step Cindy mentions is key here as regardless of where you are on the court, this is essential to being in the right position and balance to hit the next shot. Depending on where you hit your approach from and how hard, you may very well be split stepping in no-mans land and there is nothing wrong with that.

Last, being an attacking player requires that you become adept at dealing with low volleys and half volleys. Unless you come to net only on virtual winners, you are going to have to hit these shot periodically and improving this area of your game is important to transitioning from the backcourt to the net.
schmke is online now   Reply With Quote