View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToPlaySets View Post
Yea, but you're also advocating being in "no man's land" which is the first thing you learn not to do in tennis. I recall being told by my coach to let them lob you. It's a low % shot and if they get it, good for them, but you'll win way more points going to the net than losing via a lob. So, if that's true, my problem is going in on the wrong shots, not being out of position to play the lob. I am saying if you do it right, they can not hit a deep lob. Like an easy shot to their forehand, don't go it. Massively topspin and deep to their back hand? Let them lob away.
I agree with Schemke, who phrased things well.

See, a lot of people S&V and believe they must get to a certain spot on the court. If they split step behind the service line, they believe they are not doing it right.

Not true, IME. You split when your opponent is about to hit, regardless of where you are on the court. If you only get two steps inside the baseline, that is where you split. You shouldn't be running forward full speed while your opponent is hitting.

That said, the place where you split does NOT mean that this is where you must make contact. Once you see the return is a drive, you can keep moving forward or sideways or whatever you need to do to reach/play the ball.

Should you "let them lob you"? It depends on how good they are at it. I'm a lobber, big time. I can lob off of almost any shot from any place on the court, FH or BH. The exception is I cannot lob off of a good drop shot or a nasty slice.

I tell you this because I do face people who seem to spend a lot of energy figuring that if they just their approaches harder or deeper or better that they can stop me from lobbing. I also face people who have been told not to worry about the lob, so they go down in flames as lob after lob goes over their heads. IMHO, that is not the right idea. The idea is that you simply need to cover the lob. That doesn't mean "change everything you do and play like grandma." It means take extra care to be well-balanced and do your split so you can take that lob as an approach volley without bouncing it.

When I have an opponent who can actually defend my lobbing by crossing behind their partner, that will make me stop lobbing for the remainder of the match.