View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
markcoop
New User

charliefedererer - I don't own such a hand gripper, but I have used such a hand gripper in the past when I dislocated my finger and did PT. Maybe I'll pick one up. I'm actually more concerned about outward pressure (see below).

Since my last post I've played tennis two more times. Tennis is much better. I can now grip the racket well. I played a match yesterday and serving was ok at the beginning but eventually started to bother me a bit. I do see progress with the grip, so I'm happy about that.

As far as the exercises, I am doing the following:
- Bending and extending the finger with the aid of my other hand.
- Making a fist by myself. Gets better every time I do it.
- Lift small objects with my recovering finger and thumb.

I still wear the splint at night and some of the day (maybe a few hours during the day).

At this point, my only concern is that I can't straighten the finger without the aid of my other hand. In other words, after bending and extending a few times, I can make a fist by myself (at least most of the way). But I then can't extend the finger by itself. After I help extend the finger, I can hold it straight. I am able to move it up a bit, but not all the way. I'm hoping this is because the joint is still a bit swollen and stiff and I don't have the strength to do it yet. Just not sure if this is normal. I tried doing an exercise where I put a rubberband around my fingers and try to extend outward. Can't really do that with the recovering finger yet. I will keep at it. If I don't see improvement in this area I will finally go to a doctor.
markcoop is offline   Reply With Quote