View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #38
charliefedererer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndagolfer View Post
Since I have lowered my target weight to right around my college weight I have been eating a lot better. I am eating smaller portions with more helpings of vegetables. I am hoping to get back to form and without fitness my footwork just isn't there(as you can probably tell from my video).

As for asthma, my PCP did prescribe me some ventolin to try out to see if it would work on clearing up my inability to breath during my workouts. The one time that I did try it it seemed to work a bit.

Thanks all! BTW do you think I can top 4.0 if I get in better shape?
I think it is great that tennis seems to be a "carrot on a stick", giving you a goal to get in better shape.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing addressing your diet - it is almost impossible to lose weight purely through exercise.

Exercise induced asthma is much more common in those who are overweight.

It seems like a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" scenario.
Difficulty breathing leads to exercise avoidance, and hence a tendency to gain weight.
On the other hand, those who do lose weight seem to have an improvement in their symptoms.
And most agree that in those that can "get over the hump" and exercise more seem to be bothered less and less by their symptoms.

You can top 4.0 - but it takes a huge time commitment to develop all the skills in tennis.
And there is no such thing as just developing a skill and expect it to be there - without constant practice some aspect - your serve, volley, overhead, etc. won't be there and your opponent will exploit the deficit.

But that is to a large extent what is so enjoyable about tennis - developing all the strokes is hard - if it was too easy, where would be the challenge in that?

The long debate has been: "Is tennis a running game with hitting, or it a hitting game with running?" [Obviously the answer is both are right.]
Getting to those balls with fast feet and recovering quickly for the next shot and the next and the next becomes ever tougher as you move up the ladder.
The unforced errors have to go way down, and use of combinations of shots to win the point becomes more and more important.

Enjoy the journey!

In your video it looks like you already are having a great time hitting.
Along the path to greater fitness and improving tennis skills, every step along the way is good!
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote