View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
TW Professor
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstadium View Post
Is it true that strings lose elasticity then go "dead"? This confuses me as tension loss should make the string more powerful.

In terms of a gut/poly combo, will I get the most spin if the gut/poly both have high spin potential on the "string finder"?

Does stringing a softer poly tighter give pretty similar performance to a stiffer string at a lower tension?

Do you plan any data on elasticity loss?

Finally, does a string with high spin potential have less durability, due to high string to ball friction?

Q1: "Going dead" means different things to different people. Some say it makes the racquet trampoline like and balls go flying with more power (most likely higher trajectory due to tension loss is making them go long) and others say that the stringbed gets stiffer, loses power, and hurts their arms. You're right, it doesn't make sense. I am presently doing experiments to figure this all out, but you will have to stay tuned, because it will be a while before I get it all up on the website.

Q2:Gut/poly combos depend on which is in the main and in the cross. Gut works best as a main. When hybriding, it is best to look only at the string-to-string friction. You want the strings to slide on each other. Pick strings with low string-to-string coefficients of friction (on String Finder these can be see by clicking on the number in the spin potential box for the given string).

Q3: In theory, if the resulting stiffness of the two strings is the same, they will feel similar.

Q4: The closest thing we have to "elasticity loss" is the energy return category on the String Performance Database:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...r/reporter.php

Q5: High spin potential strings will move more on each other. This may create more wear, depending on the string. However, the wear will be spread out over a longer distance than a string that does not move much. I guess experience will be the best judge there.
TW Professor is offline   Reply With Quote