View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #245
storypeddler
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to storypeddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl View Post
The other component of getting a ratings bump that has not been mentioned is the weighting of the playoffs for your year end rating. My understanding is that the USTA somehow uses a weighted average of your playoff performance and your dynamic rating to get your year end rating. No playoffs ... and they just use your dynamic rating at year end.

What this means is that players who are bumped usually fall into two distinct categories.

1) Good players that play up .... discussed at length here

and

2) Good players on good playoff teams.... Because they play in the playoffs these players likely get better opponents and doing well against these good players has a more dramatic effect on their ratings. Essentially because these matches against good players occurred in the playoffs they count double which can help you more.

I think I fall into the second category ... I was good relative to my 4.0 peers within my district but I do not think I would have been bumped had I not performed well in sectionals the last two years.
Nothing against you personally, man, but wouldn't you agree that, overall, a player like you just described yourself---one who went to and did well at sectionals---would almost certainly be moving into the very top echelon of your respective level? I would think that those players who perform very strongly at the sectional level are probably playing at a level above 95% or more of all players at their level nationally. At least for that time period. If that is true, it seems sort of reasonable to me that they would be bumped up---or al least not at all unreasonable that they were.
storypeddler is offline   Reply With Quote