View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #82
seekay
Rookie

Gauge of playtest string: I got the 16 gauge

Tension used for playtest: 45lb

Regular string set up: Big Hitter Black 7 17 @ 45lb

Racquet brand and model used for test: Wilson BLX2 Six.One 95 16x18

Power of test string: This is definitely on the powerful/springy end of the poly spectrum, much more so than I expected having played with the original Cyclone. I probably should have strung it at a higher tension, since as tested, it was too powerful for some of the other qualities of the string to shine.

Feel: Much better than I expected. It felt plasticky when I strung it up and I expected a mushy, unresponsive stringbed. I was pleasantly surprised when it hit with it; I could tell by feel where the ball was hitting the stringbed.

Spin: Spin was excellent. Not quite at the BHB7 level, but that's a high bar. I had a hard time getting heavy balls to spin down into the court, but I expect a tension adjustment would fix that.

Comfort: Very good for a poly. It's definitely on the softer side. I'm recovering from a light case of tennis elbow (Pure Storm + ALU), so I'm suddenly more sensitive than ever before, and the Cyclone Tour didn't aggravate things at all.

Durability: It seems to be holding up well, but I gave up on it after about 8 hours of hitting. I just couldn't adjust to the springiness.

Playability Duration: I feel like it softened up noticeably in the first half hour or so. After that, it was always too springy for me, so it's hard to say for sure how stable it was.

Control: Control was sub-par for me, but that's probably directly related to the low tension and high power. I suspect that stringing it more appropriately would bring the control up to where it should be.

Tension recommendations: 45lb is my usual tension for pretty much any poly in this frame. BHB7, Cyclone, Solinco Tour Bite, MSV Co-Focus, you name it and 45lb works. But not Cyclone Tour. I'd want to jump up to at least 50lb and maybe iterate up from there to try and reign it in. For me, the string wasn't really playable at 45lb, and that's a shame, because I think it's got promise.

Compare to the string you use most often: Definitely springier than BHB7, with less spin and less control. It's also far redder; way too red to look right in my 2012 6.1's.

More seriously, I didn't enjoy stringing Cyclone Tour. The twisting caused extreme coil memory, akin to Solinco Barb Wire. Every time I pulled a cross, I had to carefully manage the loop on the other side of the frame and help it unwind so it wouldn't kink. I've yet to be convinced that twisting the string improves performance, so I'm not really interested in making this my normal string.

If you have played with the original Cyclone, please compare: Cyclone Tour isn't going to be confused with Cyclone. The new string is much more lively and free-spirited. I went through a reel of 16g Cyclone before switching to BHB7, and I have fond memories of it. Cyclone Tour seems to be taking the string in a new direction, and it doesn't work as well for me as the original.

That said, I appreciate the chance to try it out. Thanks TW and Völkl!