View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #12012
Fuji
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGads View Post
Fuji,

Well done, sir. Well done. One of my all-time favorite frames. And I'm guessing you were able to load up on them at that insanely cheap closeout price. My compliments. The Limited is one of those frames made for the esteemed gentleman.

In these parts, man, I'm totally crushing on these TGKs. Played about as well as I can tonight and split a couple of marathon sets in two hours time, both of us playing at a very high level. Same story tonight - played one set with my standard length and one with my extended, and I'm just ripping the court open with sharper angles with the standard and then just peppering the baseline with consistently deep, heavy shots with the extended. I lost the second set with the extended, but just barely -- had two set points I couldn't convert and I really played about equally well with both, just a little differently.

Two-handed backhand VERY much improved after a lesson last week. Key thing I wasn't doing: turning/twisting into the shot with my torso. Instead I was kind of staying planted with the feet and standing too straight up and letting the arms do too much of the work. Big thing was practicing twisting so much into the shot with the body so that the back leg would kind of swing around in the follow-through to land toward the side of the court as a recovery step. Also did a very helpful drill in which I had to actually let go of the racquet with my right hand during my follow-through, so as to force yourself to really swing all the way through with that left hand. Totally shows you how the left hand/arm should really be doing all of the work on the two-hander (other than shoulder and torso turn, of course)

It's funny -- my coach is a total Agassi-**** like I've become. On both the forehand and backhand that we've now worked on in lessons, he's brought me in to look at Agassi slow-mo video of his strokes on both wings.

Backhand still a work in progress but tonight, was definitely on the way back.
Haha why thank you! I was actually able to load up on the Used section of TW's store. Lets just say I paid less then half of what the new ones were on sale for... I was cruising late night on Friday and suddenly when I hit refresh these bad boys popped up and I couldn't believe it. One is a bit worse for wear with some chipping, but the other ones are pretty much brand new that could use a new bumper and that's about it. I'm so happy to be finally done messing about with sticks. I used the PSL for almost an entire season last year and it did wonders for my game, then I started to go into RH land and buying ridiculous amounts of sticks I didn't need.

That's awesome regarding your TGK's though! Honestly, it sounds like for me at least that the standard length is suiting your game a touch better since it lets you open up the court. At rec level play, it's all about giving your self a bit of room for error and margins that you can play to your advantage. The XL one does seem like a funner hit though!

I totally know what it's like to have a wicked BH lesson. I want to get some video of my backhand from the behind view so I can see exactly what I'm doing with it. My coach used to play on tour and he basically turned my 2HBH into something that may very well win me a spot on the D1 roster in the new few years. It's just incredible what a few good lessons can do for you. The toughest thing for me like you said is getting the left hand to be dominant. One of the best backhands I've faced is from a guy who is truly ambidextrous from birth. It was amazing to sit and watch him be able to pound ground strokes with either hand, and his 2HBH was supremely good haha. I for sure want to try that drill of letting go the right hand, it seems like it'd be good practice!

-Fuji