View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #33
markcoop
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
You could add 4) You've already botched up the initial management of your injury. So while it will heal and the swelling will go away, it will not return to optimal. So the best a doctor could do at this point is damage control.
Interesting option. I guess the question I have is what does botched up mean. There are two courses of action to treat a mallet finger: splint or surgery. Surgery is only used when absolutely necessary. The large majority of the cases splint. I never had a ton of swelling and to the touch felt no bone protruding. If there was any mistake, there is the slight chance that I actually needed surgery (which I can always still do). But I can't understand how you could conclude I may have botched things up by using a stack splint (purchased on Amazon) designed specifically for this injury and used in the great majority of cases.

I think there different kind of people in this world. On one end of the spectrum you have people who like to do as much as possible themselves. One the other end, you have people who rely on others as much as they can. Apparently I'm more of a do-it-yourself person. Of course one should go to an expert, a doctor in this case, when their expertise is needed. That does not make doctors beyond reproach. Many doctors don't always do what's in the best interest of their patients. A great example, although not related, is how doctors tend to ignore nutrition as a path to better health. In my case, I have no doubt that the time spent going to a doctor, the x-rays, the follow-up visits, the PT and of course, the bills, would have yielded a good result. But after doing my research, something I always like to do before seeing a doctor, I concluded it was not necessary. Did I make a mistake? I think there's a very small possibility that I have, but I do understand the small risk I took.
markcoop is offline   Reply With Quote