View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
elegos7
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Apparently an Austrian Championships tournament did take place in Vienna in 1920, from circa 28 June-4 July. I could find only the following details of the two singles finals:

MFI: Count Ludwig von Salm d. Rolf Kinzel [score?]
--

WFI: Frau Ellissen* d. Frau Weinlinger [score?]

* There were two tennis-playing Ellissen sisters from Austria, Lilly and Margit.
--

Maybe this tournament was open only to Austrian players, or maybe very few, if any, overseas players took part in it.
-----
There may have been a tournament like that, but it probably was not the official Austrian Championships. I have a list of winners published in 1933 in a German book, and based on this the Austrian Championships resumed only in 1921.

As for the Berlin event, I have the following results
May 22 1921
Berlin Championships: Otto Froitzheim (GER) - Robert Kleinschroth (GER) 6-3 6-3 6-2
Prussian Championships: Otto Froitzheim (GER) – Robert Kleinschroth (GER) 6-3 6-2 6-3

May 27 1923
Berlin Championships: Béla Kehrling (HUN) - Friedrich Rahe (GER) 7-5 6-3 9-7
Prussian Championships, Berlin: Béla Kehrling (HUN) - Heinz Landmann (GER) 6-2 6-2 6-4

Jun 15 1924
Berlin Championships: Béla Kehrling (HUN) – Heinz Landmann (GER) 6-1 6-3 6-1
Prussian Championships, Berlin: Béla Kehrling (HUN) – Georg Demasius (GER) 6-3 6-2 6-4

Jun 7 1925
Berlin Championships GER: Umberto de Morpurgo (ITA) - Otto Froitzheim (GER) 3-6 4-6 9-7 6-3 (retired)
Prussian Championships, Berlin GER: Friedrich Rahe (GER) – ?

For the other years from 1919 to 1928 I only have the winners from the same German book. As you see this event was usually played concurrently or just before the French Championships.

It is disappointing that players from the defeated countries in WWI were kept out of the World Championships events in the early 1920s. It was the time when Béla Kehrling played his best tennis. He also maintained that Froitzheim played better then before the war. We can only imagine how many World Hard Court titles they could have won (Kehrling played an attacking serve-and-volley game, he might have done very well in his prime in Wimbledon as well). And these are the years when the great German pro Roman Najuch played his best tennis as well. It would be interesting to find any results between him and the leading German players. I read that such matches took place, but I have no details about them.

Central European results from the early 1920s can probably be only found in daily newspapers, as most of the tennis magazines in these countries were suspended after the war.

Last edited by elegos7 : 12-18-2012 at 10:02 AM.
elegos7 is offline   Reply With Quote