View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by user92626 View Post
Awesome info. Thanks everyone for your contribution.

Walking barefoot, which someone suggests, on cold tile floor is uncomfortable though. I walk around the house in a soft flip flop. But I think the suggestion to walk on a beach or grass makes a lot of sense.
Since I believe I was the one advocating walking barefoot, let me explain what I did. I did not walk barefoot much on hard surfaces when I was still getting a lot of heal pain - I mostly wore Crocs. Once I wasn't feeling the heel ache in the mornings, I started going barefoot more and doing the foot exercises, calve raises on stairs, picking things up with rolling towels with toes, etc. Then I progressed to walking barefoot as much as possible.

Once your feet are healthy and strong, it does not hurt to walk on cold hard tile or concrete floors. That is if you learn how to properly walk barefoot, which means not slamming your heel into the ground (you may need to make stride adjustments) you will not feel pain and your very sensitive feet will desensitize to some extent. For instance, I go barefoot a lot, but not that often on really rough surfaces like crushed rock or very rough asphalt. It is quite comfortable to walk on tile or concrete.

My feet started getting sore as I walked more barefoot. But it was definitely a muscles soreness and as my feet have strengthened I feel it much less often. Walking barefoot allows you to use feet muscles more, and you'll adopt a softer walking style, which I feel is more akin to the way a cat moves than a clomping motion you can do in shoes.

I still play tennis in tennis shoes, but I've adopted much softer minimalist shoes for wearing out and about when being barefoot or in flat flip-flops would be inappropriate. It helps to live in a beach town. I can walk thru a grocery store without wearing shoes and not get hassled.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote