View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
TennezSport
Hall Of Fame

Thumbs up Agreed..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthofde View Post
it is interesting though how these technological wonders are especially liked, most of the times, only by rec players. i've talked to competitive players, people that made a living out of tennis, some of them just national, some of them top 100 atp and most of them said that these knew technologies are not so special as advertised.
i especially mentioned the D3O because i know from a tennis player that all 6 of his racquets, the first head racquets that had D3O they all broke at the neck. and i mean the head of the racquet broke and flew across the court.
now considering that people have the tendency to exaggerate these things i am inclined to think that it wasn't all six of them. yet there were others that reported the same problem.
and maybe you do not remember the advertising done by the manufacturer when the D3O was first implemented. the words " the racquet will know what kind of shot you need and get more or less stiff accordingly" were thrown around.
i do not say that these technologies do not exist or do not improve a racquet. but IMO they do too little and they are only a revelation for the rec player.
if one of these technologies was a breakthrough all the manufacturers would have jumped on the wagon. like what happened with multi-layered wood frames, aluminum frames and later graphite frames
Advanced and Pro players are very picky about their sticks and have them customized to their preferences, so changing to new materials can effect what they feel from the frame, something they are not interested in. This is also why they string everyday and change out racquets frequently to maintain a high consistency level.

Most rec players could not play with the pro racquets, so companies are always looking for ways to make a racquet more comfortable for rec players. Sometimes they look for materials that work well but are more cost effecient or something that enhances feel while keeping the racquet light. All of the breakthroughs like multi-layered wood frames, aluminum frames and later graphite frames were just that at the time.

Wood warped and was costly to make, Aluminum/Steel vibrates too much and caused arm issues, graphite is too brittle and must be mixed with various materials to even be playable. There is a never ending search for a combination of materials that will make that perfect racquet just like they are searching for with Poly strings today (never going to happen; too many variables).

Advertizing will always be off the charts when trying to sell like a young person who brags; always over blown. That is why we say try till to find what works for you. Companies advertizers are trying to create something for everyone and that will never happen.

Cheers, TennezSport

Last edited by TennezSport : 12-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.
TennezSport is offline   Reply With Quote