View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #51
dParis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Thomas Muster View Post
I agree Front 242 transcended the industrial genre. Too many bands never evolved and played it safe while 242 went out of their way to shake their formula up. I'm sure most 242 fans will disagree with me but I thought their best albums were the two released in 1993, especially "05:22:09:12 Off". DeMeyer also had some good side projects worth checking out. C-Tec (or Cyber-Tec Project) and Cobalt 60.

Live they were INTENSE.
Put me in the "most 242 fans" camp. While I liked 06:21:03:11 Evil, I can barely even consider Off a Front 242 album. By the Off release, I felt they were being reeled in by the electronic music collective. Off was a venture away from their "core competencies" but instead of initiating the artistic direction of the music, it was more a reaction to the electronic music of the time.

Front 242 was good to Chicago, and Chicago good to Front 242 - due, in part, to one of their record lables being headquartered there. They played there often and I was able to see them live three times. The shows were great, especially considering the difficulty of translating the studio product to a three man live stage.