View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
J011yroger
G.O.A.T.

Send a message via AIM to J011yroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason586 View Post
Really??? I am hurting for a bit more power, and the Kevlar does not bother my arm so far. But really tighter is more power - why is this???

If I want to figure out if I can get enough power out of Kevlar before moving back to full poly, what would you suggest as the most powerful kevlar (main only) set up and tension???
I notice you play with 16 ga, but have you tried thinner kevlar?? Did it give you more power/pop???
Two reasons actually.

Kevlar has no elasticity. Normal strings are better at absorbing and returning energy than the ball is, so stringing them looser allows them to absorb more of the impact, returning more of the impact. Kevlar is worse at absorbing and returning energy than the ball, so you want to string it tighter to make the ball absorb more of the impact.

The second reason is that because the Kevlar has no stretch to it, once it loosens up a bit it just flops around in the stringbed doing nothing, so when you string it loose it feels great for a little while, then turns to crap. By stringing the entire bed tighter, it hangs in there a bit longer because it is tighter to begin with, and has the tighter cross to back it up.

J