View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
Well many/most consider Graf the female GOAT and she won 107 tournaments, which without the Seles stabbing would probably be more like 75-80. I think Serena can be in the range of "no Seles stabbing" Graf's mark of about 80 tournaments by the time her career is over too. She seems to be taking them more seriously. I already pointed out I dont think you can take that particular stat of the pre 1985 or so, or wood racquet era, players seriously. Everyone played alot more then and had much longer careers, the game was nowhere near as physical or as prone to wear out and injuries as today (which is why what Serena is doing now, excelling well into her 30s in todays game is all the more remarkable).
I'll put it this way, Serena doesn't seem to be slowing down so she will move up higher. I don't think you should penalize pre 1985 players for using wood racquets but it's a different skill set and in some ways I believe it's harder. Players used to play with injuries more in those days. Now they are more conservative. They rest more so nagging injuries don't happen as much.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote