View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
storypeddler
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to storypeddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
It seems to me to be somewhat erroneous to think that winning is an addiction. Winning, or losing, is, in the general scheme of things, an inconsequential result of many variables (And insofar as many of those variables can't be controlled, then winning and losing are both accidents. This is what Kipling was referring to in calling both winning and losing imposters, to be treated intellectually, and, most importantly, emotionally the same, by a MAN.).

Any addiction associated with winning or losing is manifested in the form of trying one's best, or not.

We know when we've tried our best. And we know when we haven't. THAT is what is acceptable or difficult to live with. NOT winning or losing.
SIGH. I doubt if Kipling ever played tennis. I agree that if you give all you've got, leave it all on the court, then the result is pretty much academic. Wasn't anything more you could have done to impact it anyway. However, to say winning and losing feel the same is to lack understanding of the competitive spirit of a MAN. A MAN exults in winning and deals with some degree of disappointment in losing. The only ones who don't are those who those who have committed nothing to the battle. IMO those MEN have bigger issues to deal with than winning and losing.
storypeddler is offline   Reply With Quote