View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by storypeddler View Post
SIGH. I doubt if Kipling ever played tennis. I agree that if you give all you've got, leave it all on the court, then the result is pretty much academic. Wasn't anything more you could have done to impact it anyway. However, to say winning and losing feel the same is to lack understanding of the competitive spirit of a MAN. A MAN exults in winning and deals with some degree of disappointment in losing. The only ones who don't are those who those who have committed nothing to the battle. IMO those MEN have bigger issues to deal with than winning and losing.
I sort of retracted my premise in the post that you're replying to in my reply to Kalin.

Winning and losing feel different to, I would suppose, all of us. Winning feels good, losing feels bad. It's how we handle those feelings, how we treat them, that matters. That's what Kipling was talking about. To not whine about losing or boast about winning, either to oneself or to others.

It's an interesting topic. I currently don't think that the term addiction is applicable to the fact of winning or losing. However, I think that one can get sort of addicted to practicing in the right way and getting the most out of what one has to work with, and that that generally leads to winning more matches.

It also seems true that one can get sort of addicted to just taking it easy and not expending the energy, not doing what's necessary, to improve. Confidence is the key to doing well on crucial points, and confidence comes from productive practice. Repetition of correct movement, technique, and thinking.