Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #85
ten11
Rookie

Thumbs up Volkl Cycone tour playtest result

Gauge of playtest string: 16g

Tension used for playtest: 49lbs/46lbs on lockout machine

Regular string set up: 50lbs/48lbs kischbaum super smash orange

Racquet brand and model used for test: head pro tour 630 18x20

Power of test string: powerful string. Actually one of the most powerful poly ever used. It is fun to play with and for some of weak shot, like back hand volley, the extra power made it look good, but on the other end, I hit a lot of serve and forehand, back hand out due to the extra power. I will string it tight next time to cut down some of the power.

Feel: Very nice feel, crisp and fun to hit with. It is very easy to volley due to the extra power. Also the feel is very good in volley. In forehand and back hand drive, I feel the control is a bit off and cannot place the ball where I want it to be.

Spin: very good spin coming off this string both forehand and backhand when dig in. With proper topspin technique, this string will reward those players a lot. With the extra power this string provides, the capable player can focus more on generating spin and less on hitting through to create monster spin.

Comfort: this is very crisp and soft string, I have strung it in low tension so the feel is very comfortable. I have played syn gut and multi strung in 60lbs before and I will say this poly in 50lbs is more comfortable than those strings. It is a perfect string for players have elbow problem but want to use poly for the extra spin.

Durability: I have hit with this string for 7 hours and it is still fine. There is hardly string movement in my 18x20 racket and no obvious notch. It holds very well.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): playability still the same after 6 hours of hitting. Still have that crisp, lively feel when I stroke the ball. Spin and power also still the same. Very happy with the playability compare to a lot of other polys I have used.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): because this is powerful string and I have strung it low tension, control is not that good for me. Hit a lot of server and forehand long. I think the reason for this is because the string tension is a bit too low. I would love to string it 5 lbs high and try it out again to see if it will increase the control while also reduce some power. If that can be done by string it tighter, this will be one of my favorite strings.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) I will up at least 5 lbs in my 18x20 racket to 54/51 to cut down some power and also increase the control. This is a very nice string and I believe if it strung in right tension, it will perform really well.

Compare to the string you use most often: Kischbaum super smash orange(KSSO) is a fun string to hit with. power, spin, control and comfort are all very good. Cyclone tour is definite more fun to hit with because of the crisp feel of the string bed. Even though the control is not as good as the KSSO, I believe it is caused the strung tension. I will rate cyclone tour above KSSO.

If you have played with the original Cyclone, please compare. Never used cyclone before. cannot compare.

Thanks for the play testing opportunity. definitely will recommend to players I know and in the list of my next string.

Last edited by ten11 : 12-20-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: adding more playtest result.
ten11 is offline   Reply With Quote