View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Default New New USTA League Age Ranges and NTRP Ratings.

To me how the USTA computer NTRP ranking system works has already been mysterious and sometimes it does strange things.

This year there are new age divisions. Some players over 55, for example, at 4.0 level, have the option to play in 18 & over, 40 & over and 55 & over divisions. They would likely have better records in the older divisions than they would get in the 18 & over Adult Division. Let's say a player only plays in 4.0 55 & over and wins nearly all of their matches. If they bump up to 4.5 it would make it very difficult to compete again against 4.5 18 & over. Not only that, but in my area when you bump up there often are no USTA leagues or leagues with only 2-3 teams that are not nearly as good as the bigger leagues.

The NTRP system is based on the principal of skill level as indicated by win-loss record against the pool of all tennis players. Has any special consideration been given to the the effect of the new USTA age divisions where the record might be based on the record against a much smaller, age selected, pool of players, say, already in the bottom half of their NTRP level, that is, the lower 50% of all 4.0 players?

I spoke to one player from Asia. In his county there was a significant effective division among tennis players at age 40 - not many matches were played between the age groups. I don't know if that is an accurate picture but I much prefer a skill/results system like the NTRP.

Does anyone know how the NTRP system might factor in the new USTA age divisions?

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 12-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote