View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
chatt_town
Hall Of Fame

Okay, when I'm playing doubles most of my partners and I operate with the notion that if we are both standing at the net then the forehand takes the middle...that is unless I'm on top of the net and have a putaway backhand volley between the two. The way I handle lobs is this. If the lob goes over my partner's head...I take off and yell I got it...If they yell they have it...I defer and quickly head back to the area I left. The thing is though when the second person yells they have it, they need to make sure they are doing something offensive like cracking an over head. There is nothing worse than having someone just lolly pop the ball back into their service box just to have someone come up and clean up with a clean forehand for a winner. That's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I'm playing with a new partner, and we are are doing practices to improve our partnership. An issue keeps coming up, so maybe you guys can advise.

The background is that we both come to net a lot, and we are effective up there. Naturally, this causes our opponents to lob. They also tend to drive balls up the middle.

The good news is that middle balls do not go unplayed, and we are getting better with our overheads.

The bad news is that we are having problems with both of us trying to play the same ball.

An example: She is ad, I am deuce. Opponents lob her. She will say "Got it." I look over and see she is in trouble (falling backward, etc.). If I do nothing (play as though she will make the shot), it sometimes bounces unplayed behind her. If I shadow her by going close enough to make the shot if she does not, I am out of position and in her way. But if I say "Got it!" and call her off of it, well . . . that's not going to be easy for me either.

Another example: Ball comes up the middle while we are both around the service line or I am slightly in front. We both say "Got it!" at the same time. Because I said "Got it!", I am unwilling to yank my racket down. Huge racket clash, loss of point.

Another example: Ball goes over my head and I start lining up a challenging overhead. She says "Got it!" I say, "No, I've got it!" and then I botch the shot. Or I make the shot but she is out of position because she was preparing to run down the ball.

I'm very unsure about how we can avoid all the Keystone Cops stuff. I think we agree that we want to take lobs out of the air and avoid bouncing/running them down. I think we both understand who covers middle and who covers alley (although this can get a bit ragged in the middle of a long point).

It just seems that trying to have good communication habits and calling balls isn't preventing confusion.
chatt_town is offline   Reply With Quote