View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #36
Chemist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andfor View Post
In this case, just as I said the coach knew who he was going to watch. And in this case they coach happened to like who his targeted player was playing. So according to you, this will never happen again. I understand where your coming from, but this one-off expample will remain the same under the the new system, one-off, and will still happen.

The USTA while they are very misguided, they sky is not falling and although today is 12/21 the world will not end. College tennis recruiting will continue and on occasion a once unidentified player will be discovered by a college coach who did not know they exist.
The new USTA structure will eliminate Winter National for all age groups and Spring Championship for 18s, and reduce draw size of Clay and Hard Court Championship. These events are attended by many college coaches. Thus unless our kids are highly ranked (in the new system, highly ranked in sections), they would not be able to qualify for super nationals. These missing out may be high 4 stars that many mid major college coaches would like to recruit. On the other hand, I have seen D1 coaches come to our section's 18s events to scout for players. You are right that "the sky will not fall" and college tennis recruiting will continue even if USTA were to eliminate all national events. Our kids just have to work harder on tennis training and on academics. They need also to start to contact coaches early. If a coach is really interested in our kids, they will find a way to watch our kids. In addition, we can always tape an actual match and send DVD to coaches.