View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #82
zagor
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1477aces View Post
Its okay guys, this was mostly just idle trolling.
You don't say.

Quote:
I still do feel that if the rain gods hadn't cursed him, roddick would have walked away with around 4-5 slams and fed would have only got around 10-13.
Blame it on the rain gods then, it still doesn't change anything.

Quote:
I'd say roddick would have beat novak on fast grass, and on other fast surfaces like cincinatti.
And peak for peak Novak would beat him on slow & medium HC and roflstomp him on clay.

Quote:
My point is that roddick would likely have kept brad gilbert had he beat federer in the 04 wimbledon final, so he would have kept hitting and being agressive.
I do agree with that, Roddick's biggest career mistake was firing Gilbert and reverting to his junior defensive style play, in that sense I agree he underachieved because he didn't keep up with the playing style which has brought him most success.

Quote:
Novak is a pusher
He's a baseline controller.

Quote:
...he tried to win early on without pushing, and then around early-mid 2010 when he was fading away, he realized that in today's game you need to push to win (only fed still defies this because he is one of the top 3 easily all time, I'd go with goat due to his consistency), so he made the switch, his results started to pick up, making his first wimbledon semifinal since 07, beating federer down matchpoint to the make the 2010 u.s open final, and then dominating 2011. You are right, I have to admit, that djokovic was a better player than roddick could have been, however, roddick got unlucky at times, whereas djokovic got lucky to be able to play a fed with mono possibly, and then getting to play a past-prime fed (do you really think that at the age of 29.5+ fed was prime). Djokovic has beat nadal in a slam final 3 times, however nadal too had begun his decline with injury just like bjorn borg, and this was off of clay. Roddick in 2010 played nadal very closely, and this was nadal's best year on tour, on faster surfaces. Ultimately, early on roddick was too temperamental, and it cost him. I will say this though, federer minus rain<nadal minus injuries, but nadal's injuries are at least partially due to his playing style and durability is a part of greatness, and as for the rain delays, federer only took what was given to him, whereas others did not.
FFS man, paragraphs, ever heard of them? Anyway, you also make your own luck, all that matters is the end result and Novak reached heights Roddick never did and never even potentially could have, that's not a knock on Roddick who was a terrific player but Novak is in a different league.
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote