View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Roddick85
Professional

Well first I'd say you need to make a choice and stick with it about 1hbh vs 2hbh. Even if things don't work right away with your 1hbh, stick with it and it will work eventually.

Using a semi-western backhand grip is a bit extreme in my opinion. It will give you trouble when your dealing with low balls. I'd stick to an eastern or extreme eastern grip at most.

You might want to look at also developing the backhand slice as part of your arsenal. It's a shot you can use to change the pace of a rally and can be a bit troublesome for your opponent if you can hit it low enough. You have to keep in mind that it's more of defensive shot/setup shot. I wouldn't use that as my primary backhand.

As a 1hbh myself, what made the difference consistency wise was the stance/footwork. Most people lack the proper footwork on they're backhand side which in turn causes them to be in the wrong position when hitting it and that produces very random results. If i'd be you, I'd study videos of Federer's backhand, you'll learn the proper positioning. Even if you can't hit right away on court, you can always do shadow tennis at home if you have a mirror. If you own a video camera, filming and reviewing your strokes will be of great help.
Roddick85 is offline   Reply With Quote