View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #38
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
The new USTA structure will eliminate Winter National for all age groups and Spring Championship for 18s, and reduce draw size of Clay and Hard Court Championship. These events are attended by many college coaches. Thus unless our kids are highly ranked (in the new system, highly ranked in sections), they would not be able to qualify for super nationals. These missing out may be high 4 stars that many mid major college coaches would like to recruit. On the other hand, I have seen D1 coaches come to our section's 18s events to scout for players. You are right that "the sky will not fall" and college tennis recruiting will continue even if USTA were to eliminate all national events. Our kids just have to work harder on tennis training and on academics. They need also to start to contact coaches early. If a coach is really interested in our kids, they will find a way to watch our kids. In addition, we can always tape an actual match and send DVD to coaches.
Right. The need to contact coaches pro actively and start early is essential by most all 4 stars (depending on their schools of choice) and below. I don't see this being any different in the future as it is today.

Major and Mid-Major college coaches looking for the "diamond in the rough" will have to show up more at sectional regional tournaments now is the way I see it. But before they find the player with possible upside potential they have an idea who they are before they go to the courts.

I have a story of my own. I directly know a player who never played above a Level 4 nationals. And due to his proactive reaching out to coaches found one that gave him a tennis full ride this year. That's right a tennis full-ride. Now the scholarship offer may be rare, point is it would not have happened if the player and parents sat back and waited for this coach/program to contact them.