View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Yes I was thinking of using Babolat Nvy as a cross. But, some people say gut crosses are superior to multi or synthetic gut crosses. But, gut crosses are very expensive in the long run, more so when poly dies fast and one has to cut the strings. I know you use Genesis Thunderblast as a cross. May give it a try, wish they sold it in TW.

Also, I tried Excel as a cross one time and I did not like the feeling I got. Cant describe it really but it seemed power was missing and it took away the crispness of the poly main.
I disagree that multis should be used in place of gut. They shred, and they shred VERY quickly, depending on what you choose. IMHO, gut (if cared for properly) will outlast most any high (enough) end multi that would qualify as a substitute. If anything, I'd use a solid core synthetic, they suffer less from the "floppy" phenomenon that you're describing, but you lose out on the resiliency as you do with all non-gut crosses. You could also try something like a polyolefin(e) ribbon construction string, like the old style isospeed strings, or head rip control. They're durable, but still (technically) multi construction. I'd give gut a shot, though, to see what you're missing, but I do agree that gut solely in a cross is NOT the most cost effective way to do it. You gain less benefits, but it's still hard to replace. It's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it, to you.

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote