View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #169
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep View Post
So you're saying the "right way" to swing includes pronation and wrist deviation(s) but not wrist flexion (or extension..?). And that the pronation and wrist deviation(s) can occur at any given time during the swing depending on the type of shot?

So pretty much the general rule is that there is no order to how these movements happen, but that they will happen as long as you don't try to force anything? I'm used to teaching younger children who need steps 1, 2, and 3 to hit a forehand or it's all a big mess, so to hear that there's no given order to the pronations and wrist deviations on a standard forehand is weird to me
I didn't say anything about flexion or extension. Forgot to mention them.
They are in the mix too.

I didn't say there is 'no order'. The order and degree can be forced intentionally with muscle control or you can force the order with the setup in the takeback and just 'letting it happen in the order you intended ' or you can just let it rip and see what happens however I think most people control what happens with one of the 1st 2 methods.
It depends on the player and the situation.

I'm not a coach and have no experience teaching tennis children but I would suspect there is more of a structured swing plan implemented for them.

You can accomplish the same type of shot many different ways. I can hit a high heavy topspin cc shot several ways. I can use forearm pronation early or late or almost no pronation or utilizing isr for the spin or use a very steep low to high swing with x amount of deviation or a more level swing with y amount of deviation and z amount of pronation or using a pretty locked hitting structure with a ww or with a semi straight arm and wristing it with a whippy type swing etc.
It just depends on how i'm feeling or how i'm hitting that day or how well my legs are moving and how much time i have to set up etc.

I don't think there's a set preferred order. But maybe some coaches on here will tell you otherwise. It's simple and yet complicated which is why many of us spend a lot of time here discussing such things.