View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Phonco
Rookie

I an extent, I agree. There isn't some magical tip or advice that will make you a better player. A lot of it is practice and hours on the court. You'll end up grooving strokes, developing smoothness, and finding out your particular style.

However, I don't understand what you mean by 'wussies' though. I feel it's fine to ask others for some advice. Maybe someone else can see something you can't, or mention an idea you never would have thought of. As long as you don't expect instant, magical cures/fixes. As others have pointed out, you don't want to ingrain bad form. For people developing strokes, I think it's to make sure you have the basics down, and confirmation from others is quite assuring. This is why the pros have different styles, but the same basic stroke mechanics. You could possibly develop these basics on your own, but why go through that extra wasted time figuring it out when someone can tell you what's missing from your foundation.

I will say, however, that after understanding the basics comes sheer repetition, exploration and practice. Find what works for you, what's comfortable, and what's repeatable. We can say do this and do that, but nothing beats implementation out on the courts.
Phonco is offline   Reply With Quote