View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
ec51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
The guy I played with this morning has shoulder problems. He's had them for years (from what he's told me). He got a cortisone shot last week and says he "feels like new", though he knows its temporary.

In the meantime, I'd strongly advise that you "keep breathing in and out"...........

Personally, I tore the hell out of my shoulder bench pressing 4 or 5 years ago. Couldn't serve for a year (and didn't). It actually hurt to raise my arm above my head for quite a while. When I "shadow hit" a forehand, I couldn't follow through and cross my body. What I mean to say here is, this injury really f***ing hurt. I actually couldn't even run for a while (hurt too much to swing my arms). I went to the sports ortho and he basically said "mmmmm....tough *****. Hurt your shoulder. Rest for a while. Then, here's some worthless PT. Now get away from me". Gee, thanks doc.

About a year ago I messed up something in my shoulder doing ring dips. I couldn't hit a proper forehand for about 6 months. Shifting my 5 speed into reverse was too much for me (I have an older BMW, and reverse is where the European reverse is. On the left of first gear). Oddly enough, serving was no problem. I hit all slice forehands for 6 months. Now, I'm fine. Like nothing ever happened.

My advise. Rest. Not "sorta rest". But truely rest. It sounds like you have not been doing this over the past few months and you are now paying for it with a longer recovery. Use the time to get into better shape (I mean running). You'll come back fitter.

Well, you'll just have to wait to see what the MRI and your doc say.
Interesting story, thank you for the information.

To the OP, I myself also began dealing with a shoulder injury recently.

I started having pain in the outside deltoid area while serving and then usually at night after playing - especially while in bed when I would lift the blanket up.

I started reading and knew something was up - I went to an ortho and after a bunch of "oh its probably just some inflammation - here's a cortisone shot, get out of here..." - I went home knowing I shouldn't have gotten the shot. I knew any pain would be hidden. The doc said to start paying after a week and if I was good, great - see ya later. I knew there probably wouldn't be much pain after only a week since the cortisone would probably still be working. Though I have read its different for everyone.

After the week I gave it a go and playing was fine, serving was great. I took it easy and called the office and told them the pain was still there, I want an MRI.

Have the MRI done and what do you know, interstitial tearing of the supraspinatus and some nice bursitis. Go back to the ortho, only to have him look at MRI report and not the films. Great. Here's a PT script and out the door I go.

After some more reading, I knew with this type of tear - PT should be next. This is where I am now. Ive had 4 PT sessions - but no matter what, after the next 4-6 weeks, I will be seeing a new ortho.

PT for me, consists of electro stimulation (TENS unit I believe), ultrasound treatment, light weight/stretch band exercises. The PT recently applied some kinesiology tape. Here's a video on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQBb...X4vcyw&index=4

I have also been doing stretch band exercises at home. Heres another video with some exercises and A LOT of good information:

http://www.tennisresources.com/index...2&ATT=&reso=hi

Another thing I have found to help is checking your posture. You should always be standing straight because when you slouch - your shoulders naturally roll forward which is bad for impingement type injuries. Good posture will help keep your shoulders back, where they belong. Here's a good video on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abj2o...X4vcyw&index=3

I try to do that exercise whenever I can. Also stretching is very important.

I have started playing once a week and after the first few serves there is a slight ache/pain but once warmed up, the shoulder feels pretty good.

I hope with some time, more PT and some less playing time - I will get through it.

I wish you the best.

Eric

Last edited by ec51 : 12-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote