View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
tlm
Legend

Wow 39 to me is not very old, a lot of you that are having that many problems at that young of age must not be very active or in very good shape.

I did not get serious into tennis until my mid 40's and am now 57 and have been playing 5 days a week all year for the last 5 years or so. I am a strong 4.0 singles player, and only play singles. My playing style is grinding with a lot of top spin and consistent play, so I am not playing a easy end the point quick style.

Sometimes me and my partners will hit for a good 20 minutes or so and then just play a set or 2. So I am not playing matches more than 1-2 times a week and the rest of the time is practicing.

I have weight trained for years and used to take the summer off from weight training because I played so much softball. But once I switched to tennis I found out that I had to weight train all year to avoid injury.

Believe me that resistance training is the key to longevity in sports. A good part of my training nowadays is focused on injury prevention. For tennis players that means specialized shoulder, elbow, wrist and leg training.

A lot of the players at my club that are in their 40's now ask me how I play so much but am rarely injured. I ask these guys first what do they do for a living? And most have sedentary jobs. Then I ask them if they do any working out besides tennis.

Of course most all say no, these guys are good players and have been playing for years. So I tell them that they are just an accident waiting to happen. They play a couple of times a week and are still in enough shape to play at a high level of course most of them only play doubles. But it is just a matter of time before they get injured.

You cannot play this game at a high level into your 40's for long without becoming injured without other training. It is as simple as that, so it is up to you guys either start weight training and become stronger or keep whining and complaining about your old age.

Last edited by tlm : 12-23-2012 at 06:49 PM.
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote