View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #94
Chace
Semi-Pro

Gauge of playtest string- 17g

Tension used for playtest- 52lbs

Regular string set up- Genesis black magic 17g at 52lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test-Tecnifibre Tfight 320 16 by 19

Power of test string- For a poly this had alot of power, much more than black magic.

Feel- The feel was decent. It felt kind of plasticky. It reminded me of genesis spin x in terms of feel.

Spin- The spin was comparable to black magic as far as topspin. However on backhand slices it didnt seem like i was getting the same "bite" compared to black magic. The same was true with slice serves.

Comfort- Despite the plasticky feel, the string was comfortable. Softer than most polys.

Durability- I cant really speak to the durability. I had about 4 hours of play on it. I then sold the racket. For the 4 hours of play the durability seemed fine. Looking at the notching on the mains i would say i probably had another 2 hours or so left before breakage. Black magic lasts me anywhere from 6-7 hours of play before it breaks.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time)- The playability was ok. Around 3 hours of play the balls started to fly somewhat due to the tension loss.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)- The stringbed did not feel honest at times, was a little inconsistent. Didn't have my usual confidence when trying to put away midcourt balls. They seemed to fly when flattening them out, so had to compensate by using more topspin. Slices didnt have the normal bite on the backhand side. They had a tendency to stay up a bit.
On flat serves the pop was there but a little trouble hitting my spots.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)- Probably would go up to 55lbs for a little more control.

Compare to the string you use most often- Black magic felt more solid all around with the exception of the Volkl being more powerful. Both strings are comfortable and soft for polys. In terms of feel I like the feel of black magic better. The Volkl felt too plasticky.

If you have played with the original Cyclone, please compare.- Sorry I haven't used the original cyclone.

Thanks TW and Volkl for the playtest.
Chace
Chace is offline   Reply With Quote