View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #50
tlm
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI View Post
Most of these events require you play more than once a day.. some you have to play over a 4 day weekend. It is not a problem to tell yourself... just take it easy and have fun and compete within reason. Once the bells rings, you will do what you have to do to get balls back and win points. You might not feel the pain while in action because you are amped up. It does come down to the fact that tennis, basketball, volleyball and other court sports just rip your body apart by the very nature of the movements required to compete.

Biking, swimming.. etc are much easier on ones body since the motions are pretty much straight ahead.

As the Great Ollie has posted...being in great shape does not save you. It is the miles and the time.. that causes the wear and tear. Being in perfect condition of course will help and give you more court hours. Also a family history of joint issues will not be overcome with techique and conditioning.

Like anything else, you need to be moderate and use common sense.. ie listen to you body.. eat right and rest. You need time to recover to play another day. I have so many friends younger than me that have left the sport not following single common sense. Happy Hoildays!
You make some real good points, and I agree to an extent that it is the miles and time that takes its toll. I have played 3 matches in a row on consecutive days and gotten away with it but that is rare and I try to avoid this because that is pushing it to much. My point is the more structurally sound you are the more stress you can take.

Last edited by tlm : 12-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote