View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Rob_C
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
"Also competing in the women’s field are former top-ranked Georgia Tech singles star Irina Falconi (22, Jupiter, Fla.), the one-time world No. 73 and Pan American Games gold medalist who reached the third round of the 2011 US Open; Mallory Burdette (21, Jackson, Ga.), the former Stanford standout who reached the third round of the 2012 US Open after winning a USTA Wild Card; Madison Keys (17, Rock Island, Ill.), last year’s Australian Open Wild Card Playoff winner who is the second-youngest player ranked in the WTA top 140 after winning a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Phoenix this November; Maria Sanchez (23, Modesto, Calif.), once the top-ranked college singles player at Southern California who won a $50,000 and a $75,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in 2012 to boost her ranking more than 560 places since 2011; Alexa Glatch (21, Newport Beach, Calif.), who was the runner-up to current World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in the 2005 US Open junior championship; Julia Cohen (23, Philadelphia), who broke through to the WTA top 100 in (No. 97) in July; and Alison Riske (22, Pittsburgh), who has played in the main draw of the Australian Open (2011-12) and Wimbledon (2010-11) twice."
http://www.usta.com/Pro-Tennis/sock_...layoffs_field/

USTA Player Development must have thought that the eight ladies invited to the playoff tournament are better than Taylor at this moment. But I am quite sure that Taylor would have a better chance of becoming a top 50 players in the world in a few years than several players who were invited to the playoff. Perhaps it's a good idea for USTA to spend a few thousands to allow and encourage Taylor to play the Australian Open qualification.
I'm not 100% sure right now, but I think Taylor was initially invited, but maybe pulled out.

Steve Johnson and Jack Sock were on the original list for the guys, both both pulled out and were replaced.

I think Sanchez and Falconi were the two replacements on the girls' side, or the last two choices.

Edit: Ok, seems I was wrong. Doesnt look like Taylor was invited at all.

Last edited by Rob_C : 12-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.