View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #55
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5263 View Post
Well I think most of us coaches have made the mistake of talking too much and/or giving too much advice. Hopefully we learn from it. Several have made good points that some amount of "good" instruction will help the time of progression, but.... too much, even good advice, will slow things down too.

Maybe it's a little like trying to get to the nearest town when you don't know
where it is. If some one can point you in the correct direction, that will normally help a bit.
On the other hand, if he gives you complex, detailed direction on getting there, with a few mistakes mixed in...you may be better off without him.
Wise observation, imo. Effective coaching/instructing skills seem to me like they would be very difficult to learn. I have a lot of respect for people who are able to analyze the game in depth and in ways that would never even occur to me -- and then communicate just the right stuff (which might take the form of "broad strokes, or the form of specific technical instructions) to somebody to improve their game (provided the student also puts in the necessary work).

Last edited by TomT : 12-26-2012 at 07:17 PM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote